Carrie Cash-Life and Times of a Female Bike Racer

Recaps and excerpts of racing in the Midwest Women's Pro/Elite arena

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Quad Cities Recap


Photo by John Greenwood

Even Iowa knows how to report a good thing when they see one.
I take a look back into the weekend with a huge smile. The company of racers was solid and talent was well represented among the teams present.
After the snake had reared its ugly head at all of us, the tired legs showed slightly at Weed Park for the second day of racing. With lap one of the Muscatine race, we saw the attacks start. Up the hill, Amanda Miller(LipSmackers) would test the water to see who was willing to play. We gave her a bit of air, but knew she had to come home. Meredith Miller(Tibco) would soon echo the attempt, and four of us would fall in line to try to set up a charge off the front. Into the chicane, I would find my wheel upseat and roll my tire off the rim about a quarter of an inch, which would send my crank arm flying around and tagging the ground like a tripod.


Popping back under me, I would save it and round the turn some bike length off where I had started. Riding on a lump, I knew this was a bad sign. I reached down to feel the surface of my tire and knew it would not last. 'Round the first turn, down the hill, I stood and quickly sat with care, over the speed bump....10 pedal strokes(approx.) up the hill...BAM!!!! Like a gunshot. Blown.


I would ride the rest of the hill on a flat and change the wheel at the top-NO FREE LAPS.

First year in a few that I would not stand on the podium at this race.
On to tomorrow...

Monday, cage match. Quad Cities Criterium.
Right from the start, harsh winds, attacks, break attempts, shattered legs, sprinters shed....I found myself trying everything I could to make a second attempt after losing contact with the move.
Kristen Wentworth would find me isolated and attack into turn 7 with one rider in tow.
At second wheel some 20 yards to the left, I would set up for what would certainly be a field sprint for 10th.
Chris would find her way to the front and drill the last 2/3rds of the last lap with me in tow. Into turn 7 I would go, jumping off her wheel into the last turn toward home. This was my gig, I just missed the boat some 10 laps earlier.

All in all, What a weekend!!!!
Great Racing by All!!
Now on to the Tulsa Tough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home