Carrie Cash-Life and Times of a Female Bike Racer

Recaps and excerpts of racing in the Midwest Women's Pro/Elite arena

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Athen Twilight--Giddy Up!

So the "real" season starts off, not like a gunshot, but more like a cannon.
Last nights race was a real humbling experience for me. I have raced with these girls, against these teams, etc. etc. this past year and held my own and mixed it up at times, but...I just didn't have the mustard that was necessary at the defining moment.


The image does not contain me....bt shows the grit on everyones faces.
It all began with position, position, position. From staging, to call ups, and the to the starting airhorn. As we jetted off the line, a pinch of a Kenda rider was just to my front, and I know it cost me some 10 spots at least into the first corner, when I was already looking at some needed ground to make up from where I started.

Strung out, sprints on the backstretch hill and the finish side hill, my Aerocat and I dug and put ourselves in the moment. The corners were not my problem, only the constant interval, after interval sprinting up the backside hill. I eventually eased off the back when Jenn "JennX" Reither (Vanderkitten) slipped from my grasp and I was on the defensive thereafter.

I eventually was joined by a 3 other riders to try to close the gap. at 28 minutes, I could feel the follow moto breathing down our necks.

He would eventually retire me from the race. Sometimes you have a bad day...between Pollen and temp changes...I will take away that I gave it what I had and came up short.
Next stop....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home