Carrie Cash-Life and Times of a Female Bike Racer

Recaps and excerpts of racing in the Midwest Women's Pro/Elite arena

Monday, May 11, 2009

Sucking It Up



It has been six days since my last blog...I know, how lame!!!

After returning home from some great racing in the southern states, I jump right back into the fire of our local scene. Not to race with the gals, not to race with the 3's, but to put both feet into the Men's 1/2 race on a slightly-hilly, challenging course. Well, only one single part of the freakin' course was sapping, but the rest just shear strung out power. I apparently hadn't been up enough days in a row to be as strung out and tweaked on the flat, after the climbs as these boys. I found myself working on my TT and threshold intervals after a quarter of the race.

Let me confess that I am a tough love individual and feel as if you quit, you might as well have stayed on the grassy hillside and planted your ass in a lawn chair for a spectator's view. You start hard and you finish the effort unless told otherwise. You teach yourself to suffer as long as possible for the reason at hand. My reason after the quarter mark, was to sustain and teach myself that...."it would have been better if you could have stayed on, now work on it!!! More less...'drop and give me 20...20 more laps up the finishing climb!!!'. I cussed my coach when I squeaked off the back of the mens field. I had sat comfortably in the top ten while I was aboard, however, well....I ...I just didn't stay. I said "what the $#@*?? I could have done the men's 3's and done well....what is this going to do for me....

Well, the truth is that this is what it takes.



When we start as a beginner, riding with individuals that are far superior to our ability, who push our tolerance, is what drives our performance and our fitness to the next level. I would train with confidence, with pride, with dedication, as I swam in the deep end with the big boys.
I would pay my dues with no concellation, much the same way as my friends of the Cat. 4's race do each and every time they enter a race.

Sucking It Up is what paying your dues is all about. No quitting, no whining, no regrets...only the next level in sight.
I have ridden to my potential at each stop along the way and I will face each challenge that lies before me on my final 200 meters toward a winning future.
To each and every one of the people who have influenced me, coached me, mentored me, or just plain PUT UP WITH me....I thank you. You are what every one needs to be successful. Everything else lies between the two temples. Believing and learning to challenge one's mind is the toughest training I have ever done and continue to do.

'til tomorrow....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home