Carrie Cash-Life and Times of a Female Bike Racer

Recaps and excerpts of racing in the Midwest Women's Pro/Elite arena

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Snake Alley Bites



One year later I had forgotten how the feeling I get halfway through the power climbing challenge. Apparently I have not been doing enough mountain biking :) With a front row seat, I got to see Amanda Miller(Lipsmackers)bust it off the line like a rocket to the moon. I quickly hit it and went second wheel, some 3-4 bike lengths away from her. We went hard and fast up the climb....over the top...down, down, down. Going into lap 2, I had now drifted some 40 meters(ish) behind Amanda and joiners were on the hunt.
Lap 3 yanked me backwards as a group of riders engulfed me across the 2 & 3rd switchback. I stayed steady and tried to organize with Catherine Walberg(Kenda)and Toni Bradshaw(Lip Smackers). Soon, Aldefer rider Bri Kovac would be upon my wheel and challenging the last 3-4 money spots. We yo-yo'd back and forth up the climb for 2 laps. With 3 to go, Bri hit it on the last switchback, I thought..."okay, catch her on the last climb", however, the lap card would turn to 1 to go, as Amanda would lap the field and see us finish on the same lap. I did not have enough real estate left to catch 10th hole. I found Kristen Meshberg(Team BH) on the last lap she placed herself nicely on my wheel for the last 2 turns. I challenged the line and we ate up two riders on the way. Fun stuff!!! Kuddos to all the gals in the main group pounding the pavement up the road!!!

I have left out how this race actually feels. The next time you are at a football field or a high school that has a large stair run...stand at the bottom and say GO!!!
Now sprint to the top and then run around for 45 seconds at a very uncomforable pace and then sprint up the stairs again!!! Nice!!

Congratulations to Amanda. What an athlete and standup individual!!!

Weed Park..Sunday 12:15

2 Comments:

  • At May 26, 2009 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    way to go Carrie -- sounds like you spent a lot of time in the pain cave!

    miss you guys, Ruth

     
  • At May 26, 2009 at 9:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Carrie made that climb 12 times at Snake Alley look easy. I honestly don't think I could have done it once on my mountain bike! It was very impressive watching those women during this race - awe inspiring.
    Great job Carrie.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home