Carrie Cash-Life and Times of a Female Bike Racer

Recaps and excerpts of racing in the Midwest Women's Pro/Elite arena

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Catching Up



I would love to post more photos of us and the race, but there is not a photographer here really covering that area. All I have for you now are screen shots of results & prep. Here in Spartanburg, SC after our 3 hour drive, a spin and course preview, and some early dinner. I am really sleepy and tired. I could easily close my eyes and take a nap, but I will fill you in on the happenings up to this point.
We are quietly nestled into our host housing and finally have web access so I can update you.

Last nights race was really smooth and fast.
We averaged 25.1 mph, a total of 23.7 miles, 56.32 minutes, and I had a max of 32.8.
I felt great and was looking to go with a break about 1/3 of the way through the race, however, I think Vanderkitten was not represented and we quickly came back. Up to the halfway point there were consistent attacks by TT1, Vanderkitten, Jittery Joes, and Tibco. Colovita would try to preserve their crew by covering and setting up for the sprint.

A finishing stretch crash found Tina Pic on the ground around 1/2 way through the race. No apparent reason other than the touching of wheels, she would return to take 2nd. Primes were plentiful and I just sat on my heels thinking that I had the finish to look forward to.
With 3 to go, TT1 animated the pack and quickly sent a rider off the front. She would be reeled in and away we would go...for 2 more laps.

Let me tell you a little about the course. You start and some 25 meters you bank a left, then a right and into the first real right hand turn. For half a block you motor, in or out of saddle, depending on where you were in the pack. You then hang an open bank to the right and it opens up to an approx. 3 block street that we ripped at 27-30 mph into a right hand constricted turn. Much like an alleyway, it was sprint out of that corner and wait to see who slams on their brakes at the last turn. The best possible position was no further back than 6th or 7th hole. The last turn came at you like a sneeze and the barriers broke your speed if you found someone pushing you to the outside. Out of the last turn was always out of the saddle effort.

So...3 laps to go..the calm before the storm. With 2 laps to go it seemed as if the teams were organizing. Tibco had set their sites on the front end and the pace hit the fan..I had missed the necessary moved this lap to put myself in the fire and play with the speed on the front end and the two last turns.

Okay...I HAVE guts and nerve, but for once, I think I choked. It took me a split second to think twice about it and guess what, I didn't have to worry about it because my ass was on fire trying to make up ground after a pinched corner. "Now Carrie", I say to myself, "why are you here when you know you belong up there?" No wonder you are hoofing it for the last 2 turns. With no recourse, I hit the last two turns with all I could, in the position I was in, from there. 21st.
Hmmm, pull it out? Yeah. What I thought.

It takes longer to catch up from behind than it does to think about making others catch up. I am catching up on all this from the inside out perspective.
All in all, I felt great, held great position the whole race and would love a rematch.

Who's that Spartan in my TeePee?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home