Carrie Cash-Life and Times of a Female Bike Racer

Recaps and excerpts of racing in the Midwest Women's Pro/Elite arena

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Home, Home on the Range...


So I finally have made it home to DEFINITE internet. Typing a blog on my iPhone is no small task and I do apologize for the delay, for those of you who take the time to read my blurps.
Whoa...I just realized that I need to recap 3 crits in a matter of a few short paragraphs. Crit #5, stop Spartanburg, SC...I took 13th. The course was fun, fast, windy, and a shrapnel fest for the first half. Julie would present herself off the front for a prime and a break attempt with 3 other riders. The last turn found me blocked in by 2 riders and I remained poised for the door to open and it did.....boom, free and clear for the sprint. I knew that that break attempt early on with Tibco was not going to treat me well. Prime, Prime, Prime...every other lap...All in all a really fun race....Mellow Mushroom hear we come.

Crit#6- A day drive to Anniston, Alabama(Thank you Chris for driving...you Rock!!). A travel day. A quick spin on the rollers upon our arrival and a Subway sandwich, led me to my daily nap. The library found us on a short couch, hunched over each arm for a short cat nap. Up and at'em!!! Race time is approaching. Warm up and GO!!! A break was determined to stay today and chase was the game...with an uphill finish and a downhill backside, the race had relentless primes, and a fantastic 25mph avg. The break finally came back as Colovita had slain themselves to ensure LVG would not go up the road. Tina would take her chances at the line. A slight jump of a rear wheel by Miller would be a close call and a photo finish at the line....Tina Pic(Colavita/Sutter Home) would hold Laura Van Gilder(Mellow Mushroom) off to take 2nd. Brooke Miller(Tibco) with another win. Me??? Whew...I humped it and missed the front end of the train going through the last corner, but made up some ground in the last 200 meters to hold out a money hole of 19th. Back to Atlanta we drive.

Crit#7-Final Day...the best and toughest course yet. Lots of turns, speed, and a final right hand turn taking you up the dragstrip. I think the final turn was barely 200 meters if that. The race was to the last turn.
You could tell that everyone was feeling the 6 races and 2 travel days in their legs.
The teams were representing what would be their fighting line. Some larger(Tibco), some smaller(Colavita), as the week went. Vanderkitten had been clawing toward the team podium ever since their race in Beaufort. I knew that there would be break attempts today, however, the pace was slower than the previous day, only 23 ish. The pack did split and we found ourselves with 5 to go, 4 to go, 3 to go....Giddy UP!!! The race was thinning out. With one lap to go...I was surely in redline territory..."Suck it up...It's Gametime" I told myself. Bumping, people's frustrations at the high pace and their position into the turns...
I would find myself hauling ass into the last 2 turns and beating the pavement uphill for a 12th place finish. The last turn would take Meredith Miller(Tibco) down as she faded from her leadout as an Altarum rider with her head down, would run smack dab into her...OUCH!

Overall....Sad that I am home, happy that I am home, glad to be healthy, had a blast with all the girls racing. Kuddos to Colavita for the tremendous effort each and everyone of the girls displayed this past week, day in and day out! Full respect for their abilities, sportsmanship, and all in all, humble and positive, professional attitudes!!!

It was fun racing with Vanderkitten and I appreciate the ability for them to ride at the front, covering and attacking to gather as much moss during the race as possible.

Tibco has shown to be a strong force with great organization. Strength in numbers and numbers with strength=solid, predictable, consistant, results.

As squads start to gel and dynamics improve, I believe Tibco will be looking at more great competition in the near future.

Let's Get it ON!!! Good Job to everyone at the Gila!!! Good luck at Joe Martin.

As for me....back to the training. 'Oh What a beautiful feeling.....'

Out
Cash
Photos and videos to follow.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home