Carrie Cash-Life and Times of a Female Bike Racer

Recaps and excerpts of racing in the Midwest Women's Pro/Elite arena

Friday, June 26, 2009

Tulsa Tough Day 3

Keep Pushing On!!
I awake after a long slumber full of careful tossing a turning. Up and at'em!!! I slowly change my clothes with a little help from my peeps, and off to Mickey D's I go to fetch some chow for the troops. Going into today, I had put no expectations upon myself to race, however, I needed to make sure my mental game was still in tact.
After everyone's breakfast was delivered, I decided to mount up to see what was in store for me today...trainer ride or the road(via Riverside crit).
I walk my bike to the elevator, down and out the revolving doors and mount up. "Not to bad", I thought. Just have to remember to keep my left elbow closer to my ribcage to lessen the pain twinge.

I roll over to the course. I know the course pretty well in terms of what it takes to stay hooked with the main group. It was going to be a tough feat, but I gave the course a couple of ride bys. The course had a short sharp pitch up turn one with a continued false flat and rollers to the steep downhill into the last turn.
The body felt great, the collarbone was "holding"(in hind sight, only muscle), and I kicked it the second time up the hill to see what it felt like.
This was a go...just remember to not jack your arm out too far to the side while torquing on the climb.


We would all line up and away we would go. I would match the pace for the first few times around the course, then...
As crash on the uphill would create a gap and I would need a big effort to reattach to the group I belonged to. I couldn't give it at the time. I would find a small group that I would motor with and finish my effort around 32 minutes into the crit.

I do not promote anyone riding on a broken collarbone, much less racing on one.
So, do as I say, not as I do.

On to surgery, a plate and 5 screws...and 6 weeks of recovery.
Patience is a virtue.

Healing well, however, and will return hungrier than before.

1 Comments:

  • At June 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    wow, you are tough, Carrie -- thanks for the final Tulsa Tough recap -- glad to hear you are recovering and hanging tough

    coming back in town hopefully tomorrow and should be out at the wed. night ride --
    ruth

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home